Addressing the closing ceremony of IFFI 2022, Lapid had said that he was upset and surprised by the screening of this film at the film festival.
Image Credit source: TV 9 Network
International Film Festival of India (IFFI) jury chief and Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid had described the Hindi film The Kashmir Files as a propaganda and vulgar film. This matter has now taken hold. His statement is not only being condemned in the Bollywood world, but allegations and counter-allegations are being made in the political world as well. A case has been registered against jury chief Nadav Lapid in Goa, while the Congress has also targeted the BJP.
Addressing the closing ceremony of IFFI 2022, Lapid had said that he was upset and surprised by the screening of this film at the film festival. Congress spokesperson Shama Mohammed claimed that the film was promoted from the government level and as a result, the country had to face embarrassment at the international level.
10 updates related to The Kashmir Files case-
- Supreme Court lawyer Vineet Jindal has filed an FIR against jury head Nadav Lapid in Goa Police. He has accused of hurting Hindu sentiments in the case. Advocate Vineet Jindal had demanded to register a case against Nadav Lapid under sections 121, 153, 153A and B, 295, 298, 505 of IPC.
- Advocate Vineet Jindal has written a letter to the DGP of Goa for the complaint. He has said in this, ‘Since I am a social worker and a Hindu. In such a situation, my feelings have been hurt by the statement given by Nadav Lapid.
- The Congress on Tuesday hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP after Nadav Lapid called the Hindi film The Kashmir Files a slanderous and obscene film, saying that hatred is eventually recognised.
- Congress spokesperson Supriya Shrinate tweeted, ‘Prime Minister Modi, his government and BJP and their entire system propagated ‘The Kashmir Files’. The film was rejected by IFFI. Jury chief Nadav Lapid termed it as propaganda, lewd and inappropriate for the film festival.
- Film director Vivek Agnihotri tweeted, Good morning. Truth is the most dangerous thing. It can make people liars. The writer and director of this film is Vivek Agnihotri. Its producer is Zee Studios. The film is based on the community’s exodus from Kashmir after the killing of Kashmiri Pandits by Pakistan-backed terrorists.
- Bollywood actor Anupam Kher posted pictures from legendary American filmmaker Steven Spielberg’s famous Holocaust drama Schindler’s List as well as a still from The Kashmir Files. Schindler’s List was a 1993 film based on the German industrialist Oskar Schindler who saved over a thousand Polish-Jewish refugees from destruction by employing them in his factories during World War II. Kher said, no matter how big the lie is, it is always smaller than the truth in comparison. The film starred actors including Anupam Kher, Darshan Kumar, Mithun Chakraborty and Pallavi Joshi.
- Israel’s Ambassador to India Naor Gillon criticized the filmmaker, saying that he should be ashamed as he made the most of India’s invitation to chair the panel of judges at the film festival. In a series of tweets, Gillon said in an open letter that Lapid should be ashamed and gave reasons for it. He said, I strongly condemn such statements. There is no justification for this. This shows the sensitivity of the Kashmir issue here.
- Bollywood actor Darshan Kumar said, ‘Everyone has their own personal opinion. But it cannot be denied that The Kashmir Files is a film that depicts the real plight of the Kashmiri Pandit community. All of them are still fighting for justice against terrorism. That’s why this film is not on obscenity but on reality.
- On Lapid’s statement, BJP’s Goa spokesperson Savio Rodrigues told the media, “The statement made by filmmaker and IFFI jury chief Nadav Lapid on The Kashmir Files is an insult to the horrors faced by Kashmiri Hindus in the past.”
- Shiv Sena MP Priyanka Chaturvedi shared the video link of the Israeli filmmaker’s speech. He said, a sensitive issue of justice for Kashmiri Pandits was sacrificed on the altar of propaganda. Actress Swara Bhaskar, who is known to be outspoken, shared a link to a news story about Lapid’s comments at the closing ceremony of the film festival. He said, ‘Obviously it is clear to the world….