Notice to Mahua Moitra, ‘Why didn’t you vacate the government bungalow?’

Mahua Moitra Bungalow Row: On Monday (January 8), the Directorate of Estates (DOE) issued a show cause notice to former Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Mahua Moitra for not vacating the government bungalow. News agency PTI gave this information quoting sources from the Ministry of Urban Housing and Urban Development.

Trinamool Congress MP Moitra was expelled from the Lok Sabha on December 8 last year. They were asked to vacate the bungalow by January 7 as their allotment had been cancelled. DOE has now asked them to reply to the show cause notice in 3 days.

Sources said, “A show cause notice has been issued to Mahua Moitra and her answer has been sought as to why she has not yet vacated her government bungalow.”

On January 4, the Delhi High Court had asked the Trinamool Congress leader to stay in the government accommodation allotted to her and contact the DoE.

The instructions to vacate the government bungalow were challenged

Mahua Moitra had challenged the instruction to vacate the government bungalow by January 7 due to cancellation of allotment after her expulsion from the Lok Sabha. Hearing this, Justice Subramanian Prasad said that according to the rules, in exceptional circumstances, the authorities can allow a person to stay for 6 months on payment of fees.

The court allowed Moitra to withdraw her petition and said that it had no comment on the merits of the case. It was said that the Estate Directorate will take a decision in this matter at its discretion.

A petition was also filed in the Supreme Court against termination of membership.

Mahua Moitra was expelled from Parliament for allegedly sharing her login details (related to Parliament membership) with a Dubai businessman to ask questions related to the Adani Group. The Supreme Court had also issued a notice to the Lok Sabha Secretary General on Wednesday (January 3) on Mahua Moitra’s petition challenging the decision to cancel her Parliament membership.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing on behalf of the Lok Sabha Secretary General, was asked to file his reply within three weeks. The next hearing in this case will be from the week starting from March 11.

Also read: Rahul Gandhi angry at BJP after Supreme Court’s decision in Bilkis Bano case, ‘For electoral gains…’

Leave a Comment