Nagaland murders: SIT still waiting for forensic report after a month, case pending in court

0
14


The Nagaland government had constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the massacre. But the final report is awaited to get the forensic report from the laboratories of Guwahati and Hyderabad.

A senior official has informed that only after receiving the report of the forensic investigation, this SIT will submit the final report to the court because before that any result will not be considered in the court.

Also read: ‘Ban AFSPA, not our voice’: Massive protest in Kohima over the death of 14 civilians in Nagaland

The overall supervisor of the SIT, Nagaland’s Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Sandeep Tamgadge told reporters on Thursday that the material, soil and blood samples from the spot have been sent to the Central Criminology Laboratories in Guwahati and Hyderabad. His report is awaited. As soon as we get it, we will start preparing our final report which will be presented in the court.”

He said, “We have worked day and night to complete the investigation, and we have reached here. It would be difficult to say how long criminology (forensic) laboratories take. But we have made a special request to them to expedite the scientific analysis keeping in view the sensitivity of the matter.”

Also read: What is AFSPA Act? After the Nagaland incident, there is a controversy over why; Learn

On December 4, six coal miners and seven other villagers were gunned down by a team of 31 army men led by a Major and two JCOs in Oting-Tiru area and on December 5, another incident in Mon town, he said. Another civilian was killed in After this, cases were registered in Tijit police station taking suo motu cognizance.

So far, the SIT has investigated 37 security personnel, including 85 civilians and 31 army personnel, and the team has visited the spot several times.

Sandeep Tamgadge said once the final report is submitted to the court, everyone can reach the conclusions, but not before that, as it will not be “legally valid”.

The state government had on December 5 transferred the case to the ‘State Crime Police Station’ in Kohima and directed to complete the investigation within a month.

Home Minister’s statement in Parliament on Nagaland incident, said- such incident will not happen again

(This news has not been edited by NDTV team. It has been published directly from Syndicate feed.)

,



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here