Benefits of Cowpea: Protein is a very essential nutrient for the body. It is necessary for building and maintaining our muscles. Good sources of protein include eggs, meat and milk. But do you know, cowpea contains more protein than all these. Cowpea is a superfood which is a powerhouse of protein. By consuming which our body gets many benefits. This small sized green grain has a storehouse of nutrients which are very beneficial for our health. Protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and many other nutrients are found in cowpea. Let us know what benefits we can get from consuming cowpea.
Most nutrients are found in cowpea
- Protein – Cowpea has a very high amount of protein. 25-30 grams of protein is found in 100 grams of cowpea.
- Fiber – Cowpea is a high fiber food. It contains 16-25 grams of fiber per 100 grams.
- Complex Carbs – 60-65% carbohydrate is found in cowpea.
- Iron – Cowpea is a good source of iron.
- Vitamin C and Folate – Cowpea is rich in Vitamin C and folate.
- Apart from this, protein, fiber, carbs, iron and vitamins are the nutrients found in highest quantity in cowpea.
beneficial in anemia
Cowpea can be beneficial in anemia because it has good amount of iron. 100 grams of cowpea contains about 3.4 mg iron. Regular consumption of cowpea increases the amount of hemoglobin in the blood and helps in reducing the symptoms of anemia. Therefore, anemia patients must eat cowpea.
help in losing weight
The high protein and fiber present in cowpea reduces hunger and keeps the stomach full. Cowpea is a low calorie food. Due to which overeating does not happen. The vitamins and minerals present in it help in reducing weight. Cowpea also improves digestion. For all these reasons, cowpea proves to be very effective in weight loss.
beneficial in diabetes
Diabetic patients are advised to follow a diet that keeps their blood sugar level under control. Cowpea is a superfood which is very beneficial for diabetic patients.
Disclaimer: Before implementing the method, methods and suggestions mentioned in this article, please consult a doctor or related expert.
Use green peas in these ways for weight loss, you will get many more benefits
Check out the health tools below-
Calculate your body mass index (BMI)
Calculate age through age calculator