World Alzheimer’s Day: World Alzheimer’s Day is celebrated all over the world to raise awareness against diseases like Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia and to provide support and companionship to the people struggling with them. Alzheimer’s disease is a type of dementia, in which there is loss of mental ability and memory problems. This disease usually occurs in old age. But in recent years, Alzheimer’s like symptoms have also been seen in some people aged 30-40. The risk of developing Alzheimer’s at a young age is quite low, but can increase due to addiction, stress, trauma or genetic factors. If the problem of forgetfulness is noticed early in youth, a doctor should be contacted. Right diet, exercise and mental activities can be helpful in preventing Alzheimer’s.
Why does amnesia occur?
- Aging – the most common cause in people over the age of 60.
- Genetics – Some genes may increase the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Brain damage – Conditions like trauma or stroke increase the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Lifestyle factors – smoking, obesity, not being active etc. can be the reasons for this. Our lifestyle impacts our body the most.
- Other health problems – high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes etc. can also increase the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Environmental reasons – Air pollution, use of pesticides etc. also increase the risk of amnesia.
How can I avoid this
- Do mental activities – reading, writing, solving puzzles, learning a new language, etc.
- Be physically active – do at least 30 minutes of exercise or yoga every day.
- Eat a healthy diet – eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats etc. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Stay healthy: Keep blood pressure, sugar and cholesterol under control.
- Be socially active and meet new people.
- Get good sleep and reduce stress.
- Get regular health checkups done.
Disclaimer: Before implementing the method, methods and suggestions mentioned in this article, please consult a doctor or related expert.
Check out the health tools below-
Calculate your body mass index (BMI)
Calculate age through age calculator