frozen shoulder: Shoulder pain is a common problem that many people face. But do you know that shoulder pain can sometimes be a sign of a serious condition called ‘frozen shoulder’? In this the shoulder muscles become extremely stiff and swollen. This causes severe pain in the shoulder and there is a lot of difficulty in moving the shoulder. Sometimes one cannot even lift the hand. This is a serious condition in which muscles can be damaged.
If it is not treated in time, it can cause serious damage to the muscles. Therefore, whenever there is pain in the shoulder, we should be alert. Let us know how to recognize that shoulder pain is a sign of frozen shoulder, and measures to avoid it.
What happens in frozen shoulder
To understand what happens in frozen shoulder, we have to understand the structure of the shoulder. There is a capsule or membrane on the shoulder joint which covers the shoulder joint. This capsule is filled with a fluid which lubricates the shoulder joint and helps in easy movement. In case of frozen shoulder, this capsule becomes victim of stiffness or swelling. Due to this the shoulder joint becomes hard and stiff. Due to less fluid, lubrication on the joint disappears and it becomes difficult to move the shoulder.
These symptoms appear when there is frozen shoulder
- feeling of heaviness and pain in the shoulder
- Difficulty lifting or rotating the shoulder
- Tingling and numbness in the shoulder or arm
- Swelling of the muscles around the shoulder
- shoulder pain increases at night
- No relief in pain even at rest
- shoulder twist or turn
Remedy for frozen shoulder
- Do shoulder massage daily. It relaxes the muscles.
- Do shoulder exercises like circle motions and stretching. Yoga is also beneficial.
- Apply ice pack on the shoulder, this can reduce the pain.
- Do not lift excessive weight on the shoulder.
- Avoid bad body posture that puts pressure on the shoulders.
- Take good sleep and balanced diet.
Disclaimer: Before implementing the method, methods and suggestions mentioned in this article, please consult a doctor or related expert.
Check out the health tools below-
Calculate your body mass index (BMI)
Calculate age through age calculator