Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma attacked Lok Sabha MP Badruddin Ajmal on his statement. CM Sharma said, ‘We want ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas’.
Image Credit source: PTI
Chief Minister of Assam Himanta Biswa Sharma said on Thursday that his party BJP is against Muslim men having multiple wives. However, the opposition Congress said that instead of making political statements, the government should bring a law to prevent Muslim men from marrying multiple wives without divorcing their previous wives. Lok Sabha MP badruddin ajmal In a scathing attack, CM Sharma said that according to the AIUDF chief’s alleged advice, women can give birth to ’20-25 children’, but the Dhubri MP will have to bear all the expenses on their future food, clothes and education.
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma said in a program organized in Morigaon, ‘A man living in independent India cannot have the right to marry three-four women without divorcing the previous wives. We want to change this system. We have to work to get justice for Muslim women. CM Sharma said, ‘We want ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas’. If doctors are made from Hindu families of Assam, then there should be doctors from Muslim families as well. Many MLAs do not give such advice because they want the votes of ‘Pomuwa’ Muslims. Bengali-speaking Muslims of East Bengal or present-day Bangladesh are colloquially called ‘Pomuwa Muslims’ in Assam.
Ajmal, in an interview to a media outlet on December 2, had made comments on women and Hindu men as well as Sharma, allegedly as a reaction to the chief minister’s remarks on ‘love jihad’. The MP from Dhubri allegedly advised Hindus to marry at a young age to produce more children like Muslims.
On Ajmal’s controversial comments, Himanta Biswa Sharma said-
- In Assam, we have some leaders like Badruddin Ajmal. They say that women should give birth to as many children as possible because they are fertile soil.
- The delivery process of a woman cannot be compared to any land.
- A family should give birth to as many children as it can provide food, clothing and education to make them better human beings.
- The policy of our government is clear. We work for Indigenous peoples, but we seek progress for all.
- We do not want Muslim students, especially ‘Pomuwa’ Muslims, to study in madrassas and become ‘Jonab’ and ‘Imam’.
- The BJP-led government wants all Muslim children to enroll in normal schools and colleges to become doctors and engineers.
Government should work within the purview of the constitution: Hussain
Reacting to the statement, Congress Legislature Party (CLP) deputy leader Rakib-ul-Hussain said the BJP-led government was trying to politicize the sensitive issue by linking it to religion. He said, ‘The government takes oath of the constitution and it should work within its purview. They consider it unjust, so they should bring a law to stop Muslim men from having multiple marriages. Till then why are they making political statements? Hussain also said that polygamy was permitted in all religions, including Hinduism, but was prohibited after the passage of the Hindu Code Bills in the 1950s.